Mark 10:9 “What therefore God hath joined together, let no man separate.”
My husband and I celebrated 49 years of marriage last November. As I sit and reflect over the past 49 years, I am amazed and so filled with thanksgiving at God’s gracious orchestration of our lives: He brought us together and He has kept us together, and I give Him all the praise, honor and glory.
How are strong lasting marriages full of love built? God’s Word sets forth Biblical principles for a marriage. First we will look at some of the instructions for a husband and then some of the instructions for a wife.
1. Adam’s great love for Eve shows forth in his expression,“This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh.” Genesis 2:23
2. Then God says, “For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” Genesis 2:24
3. Solomon expresses his love and encouragement when he says, “Live joyfully with the wife whom you love.” Ecclesiastes. 9:9
4. Paul exhorts the Ephesian husbands when he says, “For the husband is head of the wife, as Christ also is head of the church. Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church.” Ephesians 5:23,25
5. Paul again instructs the Ephesians, ” Husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies.” Ephesians 5:28
6. This time Paul is writing to the married men in Colosse, “Husbands love your wives and do not be embittered against them.” Colossians 3:19
7. Peter, one of the twelve apostles, who was also married, gives some serious instructions: “You husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman, and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.” I Peter 3:7
1. In Genesis, God made Eve “a helper suitable for” Adam.
2. Also in Genesis 2:23, Adam said “She shall be called woman, because she was taken our of man.”.
3. The Psalmist says, “Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine within your house.” Psalm 128:3
3. Solomon gives encouragement to wives, “A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband.” Proverbs 12:4
4. Again Solomon describes a wife to be desired, “A prudent wife is from the Lord.” Proverbs 19:14
5. Solomon tells us about an excellent wife, “The heart of her husband trusts in her. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.” Proverbs 31:11-12
6. Paul also has instructions for wives, “Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord.” Ephesians 5:23
6. Again, Paul writes, “The wife must see to it that she reverence her husband.” Ephesians 5:33.
7. Paul writes to Titus with these words, wives are to “love their husbands.” Titus 2:4
8. I Peter 3:4-6 Let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands; Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.”
As we read these instructions from God’s Word, it’s so encouraging to think about God’s wonderful plan for a marriage.
First, He placed Jesus Christ as the Head of Man
Second, He placed man as the head of the woman.
Then he placed the man and woman as head of the children. “Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord.” Colossians 3:20
Along with these instructions, remember to always be ready to say “I’m sorry.” Psalm 38:18 “I will be sorry for my sin.” And always be ready to “forgive.” “Just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.” (forgive) Colossians 3:13. Then lastly “Forget.” Psalm 103:12 “As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.” If God removes and forgives our sins, and He does, then who are we to remember them. The peace that comes with all this is immeasurable .
Theme: The Better Way: Marriage is Good: A Biblical Marriage is Better